Stuart Identity Theft Attorney
If you have been charged with identity theft in Stuart, you need to hire a quality defense lawyer to make sure your rights are respected. Depending on the details of the charges, you could be facing decades in prison and tens of thousands of dollars in fines, consequences which will permanently alter the course of your life.
With a skilled legal defense from The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A., you’ll get 20 years of experience outmaneuvering prosecutions in Stuart on your side. Mr. Golden has become one of the most respected criminal defense lawyers in all of Florida. He will be able to develop the most compelling defense for your charges to try to minimize your penalties or get your charges dropped altogether. To learn more about what The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A. can do for you, contact us at 772-220-4400 to set up a free consultation.
A Lawyer Can Help Your Defense
In criminal cases, you are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty, which means that a prosecutor bears the burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. With an identity theft charge under Florida Statute § 817.568, the prosecutor will have to prove that an alleged offender intentionally and fraudulently used another party’s personal identification information without first obtaining their consent. An experienced criminal defense lawyer will be able to identify the most strategic way of introducing doubt into the prosecution’s case. With their help, you have a greater likelihood of facing reduced penalties or receiving a not-guilty verdict altogether.
The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A. Provides the Best Defense Against Identity Theft Charges
The best criminal defense lawyers are able to leverage experience and legal knowledge to confound the prosecution at every step. They undercut the prosecution’s story and their evidence, all while demanding the best possible deal for their clients, if not an outright dismissal of charges. That kind of skilled defense is exactly what the clients of The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A. have come to expect with every case. Mr. Golden has become a case-winning, award-winning defense lawyer in his 20-plus years defending clients in Stuart. He’s a fierce advocate in the courtroom and an aggressive negotiator against Florida prosecutors. When you want the best defense in Stuart, you go to The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A..
What Identity Theft Means in Florida
To get the best defense, you need to first understand what charges you are facing. In Florida, identity theft involves one or more of the following:
- Using personal information from someone who is now deceased
- Using personal information from a minor
- Fabricating personal information
- Seeking financial gain either monetarily or through property using a false identification
- Using someone’s personal information as a means to harass that individual
The penalties related to this crime vary depending on the specifics of your case and the value of the goods stolen. Identity theft crimes under Florida Statute § 817.568 are typically classified as follows:
- Offenses involving less than $5,000 or personal identification information of fewer than 10 individuals — Third degree felony punishable by to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000
- Offenses involving $5,000 or more or personal identification information of between 10 and 20 individuals — Second degree felony punishable by at least three and up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
- Offenses involving $50,000 or more or personal identification information of 20 to 30 individuals — First degree felony punishable by at least five and up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
- Offenses involving $100,000 or more or personal identification information of more than 30 individuals — First degree felony punishable by at least 10 and up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
It is also important to note that identity theft is a federal crime under 18 U.S.C. § 1028(a)(7). Federal identity theft offenses are typically punishable by fines and up to 15 years in prison, but offenses committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime in connection with a crime of violence or after a prior conviction are punishable by up to 20 years in prison, and an offense committed to facilitate an act of domestic terrorism or an act of international terrorism is punishable by up to 30 years in prison.
Contact The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A.
If you are facing identity theft charges in Stuart, Palm City, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound, Hutchinson Island, Sewall’s Point, Port Salerno, Jupiter, Tequesta, Indiantown, or any part of Martin County, an experienced criminal defense lawyer can help you mount a compelling defense and prevent you from facing the worst penalties. Contact The Law Offices of David Golden, P.A. at 772-220-4400 for a free consultation about your identity theft case.